Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Birthday Massage

On Monday I went for my annual Birthday Massage. I was about a month late, but my schedule didn't allow for the massage any closer to the actual day. After every massage I think "I should do this more often -- at least twice a year" but never do.

On my way, I saw a typical tourist family consulting maps and trying to orient themselves. The parents were wearing matching "I [heart] New York" shirts. I thought of telling them "Thank you, but you know you don't have to wear those shirts. It's not like a law was passed." Although if Giuliani had remained mayor, I'm sure one would have been.

My massage was scheduled at a spa for men located in an old bank building. The decor is New York Chic: minimal furnishings, steel gray walls, catwalks leading to the different rooms, what I assume is good feng shui. An impressive place, the effect of which was undone by bright yellow water in the toilet I went to use. Apparently the massages are so good that you're too relaxed to flush when finished.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you stop to help the folks with their maps/directions or is that a "no-no" in NYC? I remember the nice lady in San Francisco who inquired if we were lost and if she could help when we were gaping at that one building with the statues carved into the facade. Remember? I thought that was so sweet of her. Isn't that it was a requirement when you live in a large city. Naw, I guess not!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Actually, Mom, in NYC, you give directions, but you give the wrong directions. Then you laugh as you walk down the street as the "true" New Yorkers give you the thumbs-up.

the hanged man said...

If people look completely lost, I'll ask if they need help, and God knows people aren't shy about asking me for directions, particularly when I'm listening to my iPod. Having traveled, I've learned how important the smallest bit of help from strangers can be. But I figured these people sort of had it together and would figure their way soon.

Anonymous said...

You probably should have saved that massage until after we left - I'm sure you could have used it!

the hanged man said...

No, I just went drinking after you left. Cheaper solution.

Anonymous said...

But just as relaxing!