Thursday, November 10, 2005

Siena

D'oh! I used up all my internet time responding to emails and comments on this webpage. Let me be brief:

I'm in Siena right now, which I love. A medieval town that has not changed that much in its architecture or layout. Florence has the great museums, which Siena does not (its main museum still has a huge sign outside for an exhibition that ended October 18th), but Siena has the charm. Just wandering the streets, especially in the early evening, is a pure pleasure. There's a cafe/bar that has a tiny terrace on their second floor. From there, you have a perfect view of the main square. I've been having my morning cappucino and my afternoon beer on this terrace, watching the show as people mix on the square. I'm completely at peace here.

Tomorrow I am off to Cinque Terre, a series of five small towns on Italy's west coast. Sunday I'm back to Rome, then Tuesday it's Amsterdam again, and, one week from today, I fly back to the States.

Darn.

In any case, I may not get a chance to post again until I get to Rome, so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aughhhh....I LOVED Siena... oh, wear comfy shoes for the Cinque Terre! It was raining that day so I only truly saw "quattro terre"...beautiful nonetheless.

Crissy said...

Ahhh, Siena .... I LOVE that place! I got married there 6 months ago - and can't wait to go back!

Enjoy your trip - you lucky dawg, you! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh good, you'll be back in time to see the Hans Memling show at the Frick! It is beautiful. That should be a nice reentry activity.

the hanged man said...

There's going to be a Hans Memling show? Holy shit, I am so there!

Molly and Crissy -
It's funny - In Rick Steves' travel guide to Italy, he says that everytime someone mentions Siena in the office, someone else is sure to blurt out "Siena? I love Siena!" But the town truly inspires that kind of feeling. Crissy: where did you get married? The same church that has Catherine of Siena's head?

I hiked the Cinque Terra today, and loved it. One of the easier trails is closed because of a landslide, but I loved being on the two tougher trails. Just amazing.
Stacey: if you ever make your way to Italy (and you should, cause you would love it) you definitely have to go hiking around Cinque Terre.