Monday, March 31, 2014

Forty Days of Lent: Day Twenty-Seven

I'm hearing it more and more.  "I really like this new Pope."  I do, too, though I'm such a bad Catholic that I had to look up whether "Pope" should be capitalized if no name is attached. Google says "yes."

I was having a conversation with an acquaintance who I suspect bases much of his self-image on being The Smartest Man In The Room.  He likes the new Pope and is one of those Catholics who likes Catholicism but doesn't practice it.  I had mentioned a novel I recently read that took place in a world in which Martin Luther capitulated and thus there was no Protestant reformation.  However, science was mistrusted so things we take for granted like electrical power were absent from this world.  My learned friend immediately disputed that, saying the Church was not anti-science and had  better record in that regard than some Protestant faiths.  I have no idea if he is right or not.  I rarely argue with people.  I prefer to let them go on and just listen and think to myself if they are right or wrong.  I can't even be bothered to verify his claims with research.  I can enjoy both his claims and theories from alternate world novels equally.    

No comments: