Thursday, March 06, 2014

Forty Days of Lent: Day Two

Last night around 10:30 I got a call from my landlord.  When I saw his name on my phone, I dreaded  the anticipated conversation.  "I notice you've been home during the day the last couple of weeks.  What's going on?"  I'm sure eventually I'll have the "I've been laid off" conversation with him, but I wasn't in the mood to have it last night.  I answered the phone anyway.

"John, I know it's late to be calling but I saw the light on in your apartment..."

"No, no, it's not too late.  I was reading."

"Well..."

Here we go.

"I've done it again.  I can not find your rent check.  I had it with the other rent checks and put it in a pile of papers and now I can't find it.  Just your's.  I have everybody else's."

This has happened at least once before, perhaps twice.  But given the fact that I would much rather have this conversation rather than the one I expected, I was not going to complain.  Previously, when he misplaced my check, he did eventually find it beneath his pillow.  I have no idea how or why it got there.  I am comfortable with certain mysteries in life.


3 comments:

Iva said...

I am glad that it wasn't the conversation that you had anticipating, but remember that he is up in years and, speaking as one who is also getting up in years, I ask your patience, John. He is a good man and, if you remember the incident in the past of the men trying to get into your apartment, he put himself at risk for your sake. If he has forgotten where he put the check, it is a situation that can be remedied. I have great respect and affection for him.

Iva said...

had been anticipating...sorry.

the hanged man said...

Are you kidding? You're talking to a middle-aged man who has to put his keys and his wallet in the same spot on the kitchen table every night, otherwise he'll never find them.